Friday, June 29, 2012

7 Quick Takes: Frosting Shots and Fulton Sheen

Joining Jennifer at Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes Friday...

~1~

My relationship with food has been going well.  And not really so well. I am doing fine with will power... I can face a bowl of ice cream and feel nothing. The part I am not doing fine with is preparing a variety of healthy foods that I can eat. I have no problem finding sweet things to eat. Exhibit A:

Frosting Shots from Chocolate-Covered Katie made
with coconut milk and coco. :)

I am finding it difficult to plan meals that I can eat three times a day (or however often) while still feeding the rest of my family. The result is that there are times when I eat like a bird (lots of nuts and berries) and times when I make up for it all by rapidly consuming a pound of bacon. A little balance would be nice.

~2~

Great article in the most recent publication of Imprimis. Federal Student Aid and the Law of Unintended Consequences.  

"Federal student financial assistance programs are costly, inefficient, byzantine, and fail to serve their desired objectives. In a word, they are dysfunctional, among the worst of many bad federal programs."

Why? More here. And how complicit are we individually in this failure? Sometimes it seems that there is only ever one cultural path to follow in these details. The answer to the problem "we have no money for college" is answered with "our only option is federal aid." If we don't learn to think creatively as individual families, I don't see how we can solve a problem nationally.

~3~

Early morning bus driving. Cookie decided to be funny and surreptitiously took a photo of me while I drove her to a very early morning doctor appointment. The amusing part of this photo is the lines still embedded in my forearm and face from my blankets and pillow. I said my morning offering in the car that day.


~4~

I have been enjoying Pinterest and am surprised by how useful it has actually been. I assumed I would face the temptation of getting sucked into endless, fruitless, lovely images. Not so. I have already used a relatively large percentage of the ideas I've gleaned and don't find the site overly distracting. My current favorite thing to do there is to gather ideas for an upcoming Miss Suzy themed birthday party we are planning for Jellybean. We never do theme parties (being totally boring and countercultural in that regard) so this is going to be particularly fun for the kids. Cookie has already finished cutting out fabric for aprons and tulle for the firefly lights.

And if you've never heard of Miss Suzy, you're really missing out! I don't generally have strong attachment to childrens books... but you really ought to read this one. :)

~5~


After completing the 33 Days to Morning Glory Marian Consecration, I discovered this parish renewal program based on the author's books and offered by The Marians of the Immaculate Conception (his order). His first book, Consoling the Heart of Jesus, has also been an influential book in my life and finding a parish program that incorporates the message of the two was exciting.

If you have any influence at all in your parish, you might want to have a look at this program!

~6~

Ann Voskamp strikes again. Right at the middle of my heart. I would read her words every day if I could handle it emotionally, but so often, her words hit me like a prayer that is particularly raw. But I did read last week and think that you should go read this one, too... especially if you're a mother...


When your ethnicity is heaven, then all adversity offers the gift of intimacy, driving you into the home of His heart.
I’m a mess and I keep driving, smiling, and I know my citizenship and where this road leads. Who in the world gets over this?
There are hills and there are detours and there is this getting lost and it feels so late and it can creep in everyday like the dusk, this feeling like a failure, and there is Scripture in the stereo, Hope in His Word, and I try to remember to breathe, lost and right turned around.
Because this is always it: All my brokenness is a whisper that I don’t belong, and every time I don’t feel like I belong, the Scarred and Rejected God whispers, “Come here, my beloved.”
And the longer I live, the more I feel like an exile. This is a gift. The exiled make His extravagant love their home.



~7~

Archbishop Fulton Sheen is now "venerable"! If one recognized miracle can be attributed to him, he can be beatified. Two, and he can be canonized.



5 comments:

  1. I tried that chocolate coconut mousse and found that it was nearly identical to the frosting recipe I use for all our cakes, except the frosting uses butter not coconut milk. I felt like I was eatting straight frosting (not so good).

    I'm having the same issue as you in what to make for food. I found deviled eggs great, and my son loves them, but I needed more than just that. My mom told me to make neck bone soup and keep it on hand all the time. The great thing is all the vitamins and it's packed with calcium (I'm attempting to give up dairy at the moment). Here's the recipe:

    From your local butcher get some bones (these should be free, the supermarket charges, the butcher does not). In a large pot put in the bones (a few pieces) and 12 c. water. Boil/simmer for 4-5 hours. Skim fat off frequently (this doesn't taste good in your soup).
    Add 1 onion that has been sauteed in butter
    Add 2 bay leaves
    Add minced garlic
    Add 2 stalks of celery, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste

    Boil for 1 hour and serve. Be careful of little bones in the soup. Drink at least 1 cup per day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lured me in with that chocolate thing and now my son is jumping up and down and screaming in my ear, MOMMY CAN YOU MAKE THAT?!. So thank you for that.

    I feel your pain with finding variety. I feel as if I've come up against a wall and can't find more that five different recipes and two different snacks. The reality is that I just need to try different recipes and that will only be possible if I plan ahead. so that's my plan. plan to plan. we'll see if this happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cookbook called Make It Paleo. I love it because there is a photo for every recipe (I find this a challenge when buying cookbooks, I want to know what it's supposed to look like). They also have a website that has nearly every recipe for free. http://beta.primal-palate.com/
    What I find really cool is that you can narrow your recipe search based on dietary needs (dairy free, nightshade free, etc.). Because it's a "primal" website most of the recipies should be okay for you to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the resources, Cecilia! I am definitely going to check everything out and also try that soup recipe!

    Sarah- I'm glad I could be of assistance with your son!! :) I've been planning on planning as well. it's rough when the schedule gets busy. Good to know that I'm not the only one with these struggles though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll admit, the chocolate shake caught my eye at conversion diary but I was so glad to see another homeschooling mama who consecrates to the Immaculate and Sacred Hearts and is a fan of Venerable Fulton Sheen. I'm coming back to look at your archives soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If you take the time to comment, I'll do my best to take the time to reply!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails