Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pentacost, Confirmation, and Cookies

It was a wonderful weekend...The great feast of Pentacost and Professor's Confirmation. Volleyball with the family, a birthday party, and a beautiful Summer rain. New friends who seemed like old friends and old friends who brought familiar comfort and joy. A few doors closed... a few more open.

I have surprisingly little to say today. There's almost too much on my mind A keyboard traffic jam. So I'll just bring out the photos...

I think the lousy quality of this photo must be divine justice for disobeying the direct order to not take pictures during the Confirmation mass. At least we didn't use a flash. The photo editor saved the pic from the trash since it was virtually black when we downloaded it. I'll just do what I do with all my lousy pictures and label them "artistic" and be content.

I love our diocesan cathedral. It is so beautiful. Just so you know, this photo was not taken during mass. We were only guilty of that offense once.

The coolest baby room EVER. Actually, it was the "bride's room" but when I asked for a changing table, this is what they gave me. Which reminds me... I think a church without a changing table just screams "Children not welcome." Seriously. Anyone who knows family life, knows that a place to change a diaper (besides the filthy floor) is a basic requirement for family friendly. Even a small table in a somewhat out of the way place would do. Because kids in diapers will do what they do... and they do not ask for permission or check the clock.

Professor's sponsor (Fr. Bona), Professor, and Bishop Lennon. 

My new favorite cookies. I saw cookies similar to these on Flickr and knew I had to give them a shot. I had two problems: 1) no cookie cutter and 2) a batch of excessively drippy icing; but all in all, I think they came out pretty cool looking. 

Did I mention that I made a LOT of cookies? About 200 actually. I only have photos of the flames and doves but I also made swords ("sword of the Spirit") and crosses. We had surprisingly few left by the end of the party. And... people ate the most colorful cookies first which is funny. :)


I used a Joanne fabric gift card that I'd been hoarding to purchase fabric for a Pentacost/Confirmation banner. I found a sturdy pretty red fabric in the home decor section and used a lightweight printed cotton for the letters. I printed letters for "Veni Sancte Spiritus" off the computer in the desired size and font and traced them onto the fabric after I had ironed on a layer of Heat 'n' Bond. The ribbon (which is not very visible in the photos) is white satin with gold swirls. A little cutting, a little ironing, a little sewing later... I had a rather nice reusable banner of which I got very lousy pictures.

The children provided decorations as well.






3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you son! I can commiserate with the pictures not turning out great when they're the ones you'd want the mots. Anytime I go to take a picture of something important I get a picture that looks like it was taken by one of my children while skipping.

    The cookies look great. The tongues of fire ones look like they took a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cookies! And your banner! I have a few years to go before we have a confirmation in our house--I hope I remember these ideas (or at least, have the grace to come up with some of my own). Congrats, Professor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His grace is enough!

    the blessed events supersede any questionable photography that your eye sees.

    your confirmation banner and cookies are stunning. i think you found a new source of revenue. :)

    pax, lena

    p.s. i brought your intentions on pilgrimage, to place at the sharing of Our Lady of Bethlehem.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If you take the time to comment, I'll do my best to take the time to reply!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails